Condition Assessment - Regio III, Insula 1III-1 M 280

The photomosaic image below shows the condition of Regio III, Insula 1 at the time it was photographed in 2005.  The city block is 33.52 meters in length and the facade was excavated in 1913.  There are six entrances: two houses and four shops.  The exterior walls of the western two-thirds (on left) are constructed primarily in opus quadratum (large ashlar blocks).  The balance of the facade is constructed in opus incertum (stone rubble embedded in concrete) with opus testaceum (fired brick) piers.


Click image below to enlarge

III-1 960 cas d960 iii-1 273 d

This elevation drawing of the city block was created by Alberto Sanarica for Vittorio Spinazzola and shows the condition of Regio III, Insula 1 after it was excavated in 1913.  The dark shaded areas of the drawing represent the portions actually excavated, the lighter shaded areas represent restorations and the single lines are hypothetical additions.  The drawing shows a seventh small door in the middle of the block with a narrower shop entrance than is seen today.  A comparison of the drawing with the photomosaic image above shows that much of the wall plaster and decoration that was revealed during the excavations has since perished.  The east corner (right end) of the block was bombed in 1943.  The damage was repaired after the war.

[From Pompei alla luce degli scavi nuovi di Via dell'Abbondanza (anni 1910-1923) by Vittorio Spinazzola.  Permission to display this image has been granted as a courtesy by the publisher, Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato, Rome.  This image may NOT be copied or reproduced in any manner without the permission of the publisher.]

<BACK